Conference Chairperson & Opening Remarks
Ireland’s First National Security Strategy and Ireland’s Emergency Preparedness
- Principal threats to Ireland’s national security
- Strategic goals Ireland should adopt
- Will the traditional national security policies and approaches remain relevant?
- What strategic capabilities will the State need to develop
- National Emergency Plans
- Strategic Emergency Management (SEM) National Structures and Framework
Johnny Fallon, Strategy Director, Carr Communications
Climate Change and Environmental Emergencies
Principal threats to Ireland’s national security - Climate Change: An Existential Threat or Not?
- Learning from paleoclimate and modern-day temperature trends.
- Natural variability and “extreme weather events”
- Observations of sea level rise and developments in the cryosphere
- Clearing misunderstandings of the IPCC reports and the media bias
- Proposed refocusing of national energy and agricultural policy.
Jim O’Brien, Chair of the Irish Climate Science Forum
Planning for an Energy Supply Crisis this Winter
- Oil - Meeting the Distribution Challenge
- How Secure are our Gas Supplies?
- Can we Keep the Lights On Without Gas?
Gerry Duggan, Fellow of the Irish Academy of Engineering
Communication is Key
- Notification and information exchange processes
- Public/media communication
- Muti- Agency communication
Paul Cuttle, Owner, Cuttle Consulting.
Public Health and Medical Response
- The role of Departments of Public Health following a public health major
- Identification of the population who have been exposed to the threat
- Assessment of the risk to public health
- Risk communication and guidance to key health professionals
- Risk communication to the public to address concerns, provide information and advice
- Advice on control measures to protect public health
- Short term and long-term monitoring of those exposed if appropriate.
Dr. Peter Daly, Director, Irish Center for Emergency Management
- What weather emergencies can we expect in the future. What do we need to prepare for?
- Met Éireann’s Warning System including warnings notifications on App
- Storm Naming
- Accuracy of forecasts and probabilistic forecasting
- New trends towards impact-based forecasts
Evelyn Cusack, Head of Forecasting, Met Eireann
Cyber Attacks- Be a Cyber Phoenix and rise from the ashes
- See how other organisations addressed existential IT disasters.
- Learn what needs to be considered to prepare your organisation.
Liam Lynch,L2 Cyber Security Solutions
Building and Sustaining Resilience
- Customer and regulator expectations
- The five key elements of resilience
- Building your resilience plans
- Testing your plans
- Managing your Third Parties
Gerard Joyce, CalQrisk
Crowd Control and Evacuations in an Emergency situation
- Crowd Management and Risk at Major Events
- Emergency Evacuations - What elements need to be considered for a safe and effective evacuation?
- Application of lessons learned from crowd related incidents or 'near misses' for the future
Sean Ward, Owner and Managing Director, 4Ward Planning
War - Ireland's Vulnerability during International conflict
Dr David Murphy, FRHistS Director, MA in Military History & Strategic Studies Department of History, Maynooth University